Written for lower secondary students, this guide provides students with a smooth transition
from the situational/ functional writing task at PSLE to the more demanding task of
situational writing at the secondary level. It helps students to do a comprehensive revision
of Section B in Paper 1 of the secondary English Language examination. It ultimately
prepares students for the demands of Situational Writing at the GCE O-Level examination.
• Explanation: A definition of the component or item that helps students to understand what
skills are needed to earn marks.
• Teaching Examples: An example of each type of situational writing task to show students
exactly what the task looks like. Students will become familiar with it and thus are able to
prepare adequately to handle the task demands.
• Templates, Tips And Tasks
• Practice Tasks: The parallel practice task is a version similar to the teaching example
task so that students can immediately apply what they have learnt from the teaching example.
The extra practice task challenges students to apply in a new situation what
they have learnt in a unit.
• Suggested answers are provided for the short exercises and tasks. By reading the
suggested response for each task and comparing it with the student’s own answer, he or
she can do self-assessment. This enables students to understand more fully what is
expected for each situational writing task and learn from their mistakes.
The guide is suitable for class revision and self-revision at home.